Judge rules South Carolina restaurant manager owes more than $500K to worker
A judge ruled that a former South Carolina restaurant manager who forced a Black man with intellectual disabilities to work more than 100 hours a week without pay, owes the former employee more than $500,000. According to The Post and Courier, Bobby Paul Edwards, 56, is serving a 10-year prison sentence for forcing John Christopher Smith, 43, to work at J&J Cafeteria without pay.
Edwards was originally ordered to pay Smith $273,000, which covered minimum wages and overtime compensation he was previously denied, according to court documents.
Federal prosecutors appealed this decision, arguing that Smith should be owed more money because of the delay in receiving pay, which is in line with federal labor laws, the Post and Courier reported.
An appeals court agreed, and ruled last month that Smith should be awarded additional restitution because of federal labor laws that qualify him for double the pay and overtime he was owed, according to the Post and Courier.
The case was sent back to district court for a decision on how much Edwards owes Smith, according to the Post and Courier.
In 2019, Edwards pleaded guilty to not paying Smith any wages between 2009 and 2014, according to the Post and Courier. At that time, Edwards managed the restaurant.
Smith worked at the restaurant since 1990, when he started washing dishes and busing tables at the age of 12.
Additionally authorities said Edwards abused Smith, who worked as a buffet cook, when Edwards started managing the restaurant in 2009, the Post and Courier reported.
The court wrote that Edwards “effected this forced labor” by taking advantage of Smith’s intellectual disability and keeping him isolated from his family, threatening to have him arrested and verbally abusing him.
Additionally, the court wrote that Edwards physically abused Smith, including pressing hot metal tongs into his neck, whipping him with his belt, beating him with kitchen pans and punching him.
A judge on Wednesday denied requests to release body-camera video in the case of a Black man who was shot to death by North Carolina deputies as they tried to arrest him on drug-related warrants. Judge Jeffery Foster said he believed the videos contained information that could harm the investigation or threaten the safety of people seen in the footage. He said the video must remain out of public view for at least 30 days.
The jury’s guilty verdict on the former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for killing George Floyd signaled the conclusion of a historic police brutality trial and a key moment for policing and for the battle for racial equality in America. Observers have talked about this case being so significant that it will stand as a watershed between the way law enforcement was held to account in the US before George Floyd was pinned by the neck under Chauvin’s knee, and after.
A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans. In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns.
The Brooklyn Center police chief and the white cop who fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop on Sunday after apparently mistaking her handgun for a Taser have both resigned. “I have loved every minute of being a police officer and serving this community to the best of my ability, but I believe it is the best interest of the community, the department, and my fellow officers if I resign immediately,” Potter said in a letter announcing her resignation to Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliot and other city officials. Police Chief Tim Gannon has resigned from the department.